Monday, December 3, 2012

Finally--Back in Business!

Hello from Ohio!

We just got the studio set up yesterday and my scissors are warmed up and ready to go!

The last quilt I finished was September 16th and I miss it a lot!

We got all moved from Idaho, unpacked, settled and in a new routine.  We love our new surroundings. . .
. . .  love the weather, love the trees, love being close to town.
Out in the country and 10 minutes from the heart of town.
Lovin' our huge back yard . . . 
We went from being surrounded by wheat fields in Idaho to being surrounded by Ohio corn fields. 

Who knew that we would have to clean up corn on the lawn.  Pesky squirrels...
Lovin' our new outdoor living space.  Today, it's December 3rd and 64 degrees, perfect to sit outside and watch the birds: Cardinals, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Woodpeckers, Cedar Waxwings and Finches.  Those are only the ones I have been able to identify so far! 
 We brought the hammock and didn't take down the hammock until after Thanksgiving.
But enough of all that . . .
This is one of the main reasons I/we picked this house-- it has plenty of basement room for the quilting studio.
Before . . .
Right after we unloaded the truck and got everything moved into the room.
 During . . .
 Today!
I look at everything I unpacked and put on these shelves . . . and wondered how on earth I got it all in my little closet in Idaho. Frankly, I was wondering how I would get along down here without all the windows I had in my studio.  You know, I am lovin' having all this uninterrupted wall space for storage and supplies!  I have tons more space here see all those empty shelves?  Hmmm....
 Now, all you die-hard fabric organizers take heart--it's not organized, but for now, it's on the shelf.  However, I do have flannels, cottons, denim  minky, backings and fleece grouped!
I brought my old cutting table from my old original kitchen.  It's held every scrap of fabric I have ever cut since 1977!  Of course, the original cabinet has been modified with drawers to hold current projects.  Behind, I have all my patterns, stencils and rulers.
You are not going to believe this--we placed the quilting table exactly where I wanted it in the room and THEN figured out how to plug it in overhead.  I had an overhead system in Idaho and wanted to keep it that way if possible.  Since we have a dropped ceiling, we thought we could figure out something to go up the wall, inside, across and down, etc, etc...
Whoot!  When we opened up the first ceiling panel, there was an outlet!  Are you kidding?  It was surely  meant to be, right?  We plugged in my surge protector, mounted it on the ceiling and installed the overhead tracking system that my hubby created in Idaho.  I love it because the only time there is any tension on the cord at all is when the machine is "parked."
 Moving on around the room, is my beloved sign from Idaho.  The thread racks that hubby made and the door to my sewing room.

I still have my serger and my Bernina 820 to set up here.  Right now, I have my old workhorse, my Bernina 530 set up to do my piecing  I have a custom quilt to make for a lady back in Idaho for Christmas, so I need to get that done before I do anymore arranging and organizing.
As you can see, the stairs separate the studio from the rest of the basement.  

We have a fun place to hang out when we have company.  The pool table came with the house.  Funny thing--neither of us has had time to use it! 

Well, better get back to work, enough blogging and more stitching!  I will share photos as this quilt develops.

It's a fun one!

9 comments:

Bobbie said...

Welcome to Ohio! I live in Medina, how about you?

Marsha said...

Glad your move went so well and you are getting settled in!

Nancy said...

Yea! I wondered how things were going.

Your new space both inside and outside are wonderful. It's good to have you back in cyberland.

Doniene said...

It is beautiful!!! I'm so glad that you got moved okay!!

Any "quilted clouds" in the works??

Blessings

LynCC said...

Hey, hey. :) Nice new place! I love your cedar swing and the way your basement is laid out. Nice division for the studio that's perfectly separated, yet not shut away, from the other living space.

greelyrita said...

Wow, you've moved a lot closer to me! What made you choose Ohio, I wonder. What a huge change. I must admit, we're considering a similar change. Not from farm, but to farm. ha ha.

You were so excited you couldn't sleep. I'm dreading going through 30 plus years of accumulation. Luckily it's not imminent, probably 2-3 years down the road.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Woohoo! Love the open stairs in the basement. Mine are walled in, and it really closes things off. Hint, you can get some foam board and put it on the pool table when you need to lay something out. The foam board is light, and won't hurt the pool table. You can even cover it to make it look pretty. Have fun in your new space. PS: I could fill those shelves up, I just don't have a place to put shelves yet. One of these days.....

Diane E W said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're back up and operating. I've missed you. Love your new space and you will get it all organized with your special touch. Your house looks lovely and your yard...Oh MY! Can't wait to see your 1st quilt in your new house. Welcome back!!

AnnieO said...

Your new digs look just wonderful..outdoors and in! Terrific that your setup fell into place fairly easily. Empty shelves are a completely unknown thing around my place :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...