Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Opposite Wall...

If you happened to read my last post, this is a follow up.  Here we have the same room--just the opposite wall from the fireplace.  We lived here several months before I decided just what I wanted to do here. More than anything, I hated the light green paint.  However, this would make a great accent wall.  I toyed with the idea of painting it red, chocolate brown, hunter green, something darker... Oh, by the way, do you see the cotton candy pink dining room?  You will notice in the following photo that it's gone too, (Yay!) the entire living/dining room wraps around this central wall, (closet on this end, basement stairs on the other) so it's all connected and we painted it all the same caramel color.
 Here's what we ended up doing with this wall.
It's enhanced with several old family heirlooms:  window frames from the old farm house my hubby spent summers in, the central one encases a piece of a quilt top made by my father's maternal grandmother; the writing desk belonged to my father's paternal grandfather; the barn board behind the star is a slab of wood that was milled by my husband's paternal grandfather on his Idaho homestead...I could go on with each piece, but they all fit into the family puzzle in a warm and fuzzy way.

I hired my little 5 and 11 year old grandkids to stain the back side of these knotty pine tongue and groove boards.  It's called Pilgrim Red.  I love it!
Then, I lightly sanded to distress them a bit more.  I tell you, that's the way to go, you don't want to put too much stain on the boards, so I let them do the entire stack and they turned out perfect.  I prepped the wall by painting into and around the corners.  No use wasting paint behind the boards.

 We used a nail gun and put up the boards in an afternoon, cutting them in random lengths.

You will notice that the old cherry wood chest of drawers in the very first photo has been replaced by the writing desk.
 We simply moved the chest into the family/dining room around the corner finding it a better place.
This is a rescue wall too.  It was held captive by this enormous door bell.  It was stuck in wall nook that was 4 ft. by 14in...in between 2 studs.  Are you kidding....a 4 foot doorbell?  I had a 2 second ceremony at the garbage can and then filled in the hole with a piece of sheet rock.  The existing oak wainscoting encompasses the family/dining room and I was not too excited with it but with the right color of paint it positively glows!
 This small discrete door bell does not presume to be a major focal point.   Much better.

That's all for today.
I suspect there will be a quilt post here very soon.
 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

You have made this home YOURS - good job!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

One of the houses we liked, when we moved here, was painted in lots of interesting colors, included one wall that was chartreuse in the kitchen. Ugh! I would have had to paint that kitchen BEFORE we moved in, but, thank goodness, we saw this house next, and it fitted us much better.

Sheila said...

You and your husband did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Diane E W said...

What transformations. Doesn't even look like the same room/house.
Love what you did with the fireplace and the built in. I knew you had been up to something even if it wasn't quilty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...