Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Let it Snow!

I have been raking leaves, cleaning out my garden and getting my yard ready for winter.  Lovely fall weather we had had too!  This morning, I had my coffee on the deck at 66 degrees.  Then I went down to the studio and played in the snow!!
Hot Cocoa Club by Pearl Louise

I have had this quilt on the back burner for a client of mine for several months.  She told me there was no hurry, but I decided to get it done for her before winter set in and will send it off tomorrow so she can get it bound.

I had so much fun quilting all these different blocks, I hated for it to end.

 Different quilt patterns in each of the sky I tried to convey a lazy, languid sky.

...this block needed a wind-blowing-in-my face-hope-I-don't-spill-my-cocoa sky.

This fisherman block was where I tried something new.  I marked a random off-center point on his inner shoulder and pivoted my ruler on that point at 1/2 increments all around the block.  I love this look and will use it again sometime.
Here is a close up of the backing--a frosty, glittery fabric with snowflakes swirls. 

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Stadium Blanket Done!

Just finished putting fleece binding on this blanket.
light weight denim on one side, fleece on the other.

I did a tutorial a few years ago how I apply fleece binding, you can see it here.

Square Spiral pantograph by Keryn Emmerson

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Stadium Blanket

Here's my next project on the frame this afternoon.
I am quilting this piece of fleece and lightweight denim for a stadium blanket.
I plan to bind it with fleece also.

Bright Orange! ...finished

I just mailed this out to my client this morning.
Pattern is "Take 5"on point.
White Quilter's Dream Select poly batting, white So Fine thread by Superior. 
Bright oranges were invigorating to work with and the white flange is pretty smooth after quilting.  Happy with that... 
White cotton backing. 
She tucked in a piece of the fun plaid fabric for the binding.
Love it. 

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Bright Orange!

I'm working on this sweet customer quilt now. It reminds me of the print in a 1950's table cloth my Mom had when I was growing up.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Baby Quilt

She likes purple! 

I went to the fabric store and looked for some dark purples for a baby quilt for my niece....she likes purple. I brought them home and pulled some teal and navy from my stash.  At this point I was still not sure what I was going to make. It needed to be modern.... I added some white to break up the color and attached purple binding.

I quilted a quick freehand swirl to contrast the linear piecing.  I waffled back and forth about thread color, and finally used white.  I like it.
I pieced the back with this fun purple and white chevron and some purple polka dot. 

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Crown Royal Finish

Quilt is finished.  Our friends (the quilt owners) came to spend a few days and it was on their bed when they arrived. Here is it in my spare bedroom over another comforter...that's what is hanging down underneath...
Crown Royal flannel and Denim  109 x 112

It is now at the end of it's it's forever home. 

Here is a link to the beginning of the Crown Royal/Denim quilt journey: 

A few highlights along the way--
Here's where it all started, from bags to blocks.

I alternated the purple blocks with light and dark denim blocks.
I like how the gold braid corners turned out.

To get the light and dark patches, you simply use the wrong side of the denim for the lighter blocks.

I kept the quilting at a minimum so it's actually quite soft and drapes well.  It's more like a comforter. I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, backing is cotton, Sew Fine Thread ( navy).  Just stitched a serpentine like around each block since I couldn't stitch over the braid.
 Simple ditching and wide bead board on the borders. 

I finished the skinny gold border to reflect the way the braid crosses at the corners of the blocks. 
I had exactly one bag left and used it to frame the label. 
The backing is pretty fun too!

Monday, August 11, 2014

CR Down the home stretch...#2

Here is what is on the design wall tonight.
Yes, that's denim in the alternate blocks.
My client brought me a huge box of jeans along with the CR bags for his quilt.

Crown Royal-down the home stretch...

I have been working on this for the past 2 days.  I will not put any other quilt on the frame until I have finished piecing this quilt.  It will be next.
This quilt was commissioned by some very good friends of ours.

I have been working on it-off and on- for almost 2 years.  Mind you, we sold the farm in Idaho, moved to Ohio during this time....and I had a surgery....yada, yada..... 

These friends are headed out to visit us next month and spend a few days. Now, my goal is to have it on the bed when they get here!

Here are the finished blocks I am making from the bags.

I was able to create a way to use up all most all of the fabric in the bag and the gold braid to boot!
Here's how it works:
I cut off the drawstring casing and fish out the braid--taking care not to cut the braid because I will need every millimeter of it for the block.
I cut off the knot and fish out the braid
There is a 36" length of braid in each bag.
Here's what I end up with...when I get a dozen bags dissected, I iron everything and start assembling the blocks.
If I have cut the bag extremely carefully, I can get two 9.5 x 2.25 inch strips from the side length.
I need to cut the bottom curve off the front piece right where the width is 4 inches.
Sew the front to the back... 
Centering the words, trim this to 9.5 x 4 inches. 
Not much left of the bag and I am saving the chunk left from the back, I might use it later.
Here we are: the braid is stitched 3/4 inch in from the edge of the block making a nice frame.
I am getting close to my final number of 60 blocks this afternoon! 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...