Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Aspen Grove Wall Hanging

What a busy week making this wall hanging!
It took as long as a full sized quilt.  It added a hanging sleeve and it will hang nice and straight when it's used.  However, for this photo, I have it clipped to my beam with 3 gator clips . . . hence the saggy top border.

1.5 inch squares . . . no problem . . . just tedious.
756 of these little beauties!
It was the wonky trunks that really took me out of my comfort zone.  I really had a hard time cutting and sewing all the uneven strips.  I kept wanting to square things up!
It was fun to quilt though!  The trunks are all done with a dark gray.
Gold thread gives the "leaves" a lot of texture.  
I have been sewing for over 30 years, but this was the first time I put a flange in a quilt.  I think I would rather insert a 1/4 inch border.  I know flanges are popular, but . . . 
This was designed by Theresa Eisinger, Graphic Designer of Quiltmaker Magazine.  There really was no pattern, just an example--so this was basically free-form sewing.

I knew I couldn't fold this up to mail it, so I went to the UPS Store and found out they have 4" x 4" boxes that are 48" long--perfect fit--as this wall hanging is 46" wide.  Yay!  Today, it is all rolled up, boxed and ready to ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...