Monday, May 21, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival Spring 2012

I am excited to join Amy's Creative Side at the

This is my entry:
Inspiration: Pinwheel Cove by Theresa Eisinger
Quiltmaker.co
The fabrics are all prewashed batiks--it ended up so soft and supple.

As you can see, it has a tropical ocean theme. 
If you are arriving here from the festival, I am a professional longarm quilter.
I do not have a computerized system, so all my quilting is freehand.

Pattern inspiration came from a quilt by Theresa Elsinger in Quiltmaker magazine.
I pieced and quilted it for a wedding gift for a couple who were married on Catalina Island, CA USA
 As a remembrance, they wanted dolphins--there are 3 different dolphin motifs sprinkled around the quilt: 
On the ferry with heading over to the island, they said the dolphins were running right along side of the boat!

I also added sand dollars . . .
. . . shells . . . 
 . . starfish  . . .
. . . and my personal favorite a seahorse! 


The fabrics and the quilting are meant to convey the feel of swirling waves of water--yup, there's even just a touch of seaweed floating along! 
The backing is a tropical floral.
With every quilt I make, I try to stretch myself by learning something new.
I can't even recall all the hours I have spent practicing over the past year, learning to make these pebbles!

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you have seen me blog about this quilt, so grab a beverage and jump over to the Festival for a look at an amazing array of quilts from other bloggers.  

Tomorrow is the last day for entries and there are already 483 quilts entered!!

8 comments:

  1. It's beautiful - the quilting really makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire anyone who can make a machine behave that well. I do everything by hand but I love to see the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is truly a work of art. The colors and fabrics are lovely and your quilting is something really special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this quilt. Love the colors, love the quilting and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your batik quilt is beautiful and beautifully quilted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your quilting truly makes this quilt sing. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous job....your practice has certainly paid off! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and amazing quilting
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...