I have been working on this for the past 2 days. I will not put any other quilt on the frame until I have finished piecing this quilt. It will be next.
This quilt was commissioned by some very good friends of ours.
I have been working on it-off and on- for almost 2 years. Mind you, we sold the farm in Idaho, moved to Ohio during this time....and I had a surgery....yada, yada.....
These friends are headed out to visit us next month and spend a few days. Now, my goal is to have it on the bed when they get here!
Here are the finished blocks I am making from the bags.
I was able to create a way to use up all most all of the fabric in the bag and the gold braid to boot!
Here's how it works:
I cut off the drawstring casing and fish out the braid--taking care not to cut the braid because I will need every millimeter of it for the block.
I cut off the knot and fish out the braid
There is a 36" length of braid in each bag.
Here's what I end up with...when I get a dozen bags dissected, I iron everything and start assembling the blocks.
If I have cut the bag extremely carefully, I can get two 9.5 x 2.25 inch strips from the side length.
I need to cut the bottom curve off the front piece right where the width is 4 inches.
Sew the front to the back...
Centering the words, trim this to 9.5 x 4 inches.
Not much left of the bag and I am saving the chunk left from the back, I might use it later.
Here we are: the braid is stitched 3/4 inch in from the edge of the block making a nice frame.
I am getting close to my final number of 60 blocks this afternoon!