Friday, March 15, 2019

Construction Quilt

I have had a few scraps left from an earlier construction quilt. 

 After deciding to make a few 9 patches, add some grey and orange  . . .

  . . .this quilt became 54 x 54.

I wanted black and white stripes for the binding, but settled for this cut on the diagonal and I kinda like it...

One length of backing fabric was made wide enough by splicing it with steel grey and the remaining construction blocks.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Spring Quilts~

Boy, it just doesn't get any more springy than these fabric strips!  Two more quilts made from a garage sale rescue.  What you see here is what I got...just a collection of strips.

 #1) The blue strips were just short of making a nice outer border so I added these corner stones from my stash.

I had just barely enough green minky from another quilt to put on the back.

 #2) After using everything but the last 4 animal strips on the first quilt, I had to shop in my stash an alternative for this quilt.  Last year I was given a jelly roll of Moda Grunge Dots.  I haven't used any of them yet. I pulled out all the pastels and they made perfect little separators for these remaining strips. 

I also dug out this retro flannel for the backing.

More dots for the binding. 

Another set of spring sunshine quilts in the books.

Rescue Quilts, contuned

This was another piece of fabric I rescued at a garage sale last summer.

I've never been a Sunbonnet Sue fan, but this is sweet . . . with the rosebud background.

There was plenty of matching backing, enough for me to make matching binding.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Rescue Quilts, continued

I rescued this Bazooples fabric at a garage sale last summer and have made it into 2 quilts.
 Pretty fun fabrics here.

 This first quilt was made from a single piece of fabric in the center and that set the tone for the size and use of the rest of the fabrics.  I had just enough white to put in a border and also use it for the  backing.  There was a lot of the blue stripe for the second border and to piece the backing.

 Lots of fun creatures to look at on this little quilt.

Quilt number 2 made use of all the pieces left over from the remaining scraps.  I needed a sashing and a border and went shopping in my stash and couldn't seem to find the right blue, the right pink or the right yellow.

 Surprise, surprise . . . here was a matching green that was perfect. 

Since I had oodles of the blue stripe, I was able to made bias binding for both quits.  I love bias stripes.

I added the last piece of Minky from a bolt I had on the shelf. 
 It dresses it up a bit.

Rescue Quilts

Rescue Quilts? Yes, I rescued these fabrics from a garage sale table.

Here's a PSA to ya'll.

Use your fabric!
Don't just buy it and pet it.  Make something for someone: family, friends, charity, veterans or donate it to charities that do make quilts.  If you don't use it, your stash will be going to the curb someday--piled on your kid's garage sale table where someone like me (that really needs to use up her own stash first 😏) will buy it and make quilts.

Too cute to cut, so I just kept it whole and put some pink flannel on the back, then dressed it up with a fleece binding.

 Another cute yardage I kept whole
 Quilted with yellow flannel and matching binding.

Now this fabric has a purpose . . .
 . . . both flannels and fleece came directly from my stash. 

Diamonds in the Garden (an unloved kit) another update

It has finally become a quilt!

If you go back through some of my older posts you can see that I have been working on this for years!

 I sure do love this scalloped edge and all that's left is to bind it. 
 I marked the scallops before I put it on the frame and stay stitched along the scallop line as I quilted.  After I took it off the frame, I cut the scallops. 

I probably won't bind it till next fall/winter.
I am so busy making other quilts, 
I am just going to let this rest a few more months.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...