Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gee's Bend Quilt

This is a reproduction quilt with hand dyed fabrics.
Gee's Bend is a small rural location in Alabama with a very interesting story:


I had just read about Gee's Bend quilts when my client contacted me to quilt this for her.  These quilts are fascinating works of art.
Gee's Bend quilts are quilted in a very linear design. 

The design often reflected different quilters sitting around the quilt, each doing their own "pattern."  I can imagine that the arcs were repeated, going outward, as far as one could reach.  The quilting lines were freehand, all different widths.
 
This was a fun and interesting quilt to have on my frame.  To keep my perspective (in a small quilting area) I marked the entire quilt with chalk before I put it on the frame.  School chalk is my best friend!  I sharpen it to a point with a big fat sharpener I found in the cosmetics department--school chalk won't fit in a a regular size sharpener.  There are lots of fancy chalk pencils on the market, but this remains my favorite tool. . . AND I know I can always get it out of the fabric. 
 Back

Here is a link to a gallery of the original Gee's Bend quilts: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...