Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sewing~ Old School

We spent Thanksgiving with our son in Ohio.  We drove so we were not on a schedule so we actually ended up staying over 2 weeks.  We had a great time with the grandkids.  My daughter-in-law invited me to go on my very first "Black Friday" shopping venture.  Living out in the country like we do, I had never shopped on the day after Thanksgiving.  After completing her list of clothing, toys, etc. we hit the fabric store.

I have never fabric shopped at 4am, and I don't recommend it, but we did find home decorator fabric on sale for 70% off!  She picked out fabric for new curtains for her living room window.

Since we drove, I had taken my Bernina with me for a few small mending projects--but didn't have all the tools I am used to using for a major sewing project like this.  As they say, "necessity is the Mother of invention."

Here is my improvised cutting table, work table, and of course my ironing board.
Since I didn't have my cutting mat, rulers, or rotary cutter, I grabbed a game box lid and hoped that quality control at Hasbro was dictating 90 degree corners on their boxes! I used a piece of scrap molding from the garage to extend my "straight edge" to square up the fabric.  It was humbling to once again sew on the dining room table with only an ironing board and a pair of shears. It really made me appreciate my sewing studio with all its amenities.
Since I didn't have my serger, French Seams made the lining look really nice.  My 4-H sewing leader taught me how to make a French seam when I was in the 8th grade.
The valance and the panels are completely lined.
Here is the final result~! 
They look so cute in her country themed livingroom.
~Merry Christmas~

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...