Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Hands 2 Help 2018

It's been a couple of years since I took part in the



I am excited to say that I have already started a scrappy (did I say scrappy?) quilt for the challenge.


I made this lap quilt for a little cousin back in 2009 while she in treatment for breast cancer at age 24.  I had some fabric left and have always wanted to use it for a smaller scrap quilt.  But until now, I didn't have an inspiration for how to make it work.

I went through all the scraps and decided that a 2.5 inch block/strip would be the vest way to utilize the fabric with the least waste.  I then decided to make a simple 9 patch with an alternating block.

 Here is what I came up with...

As you an see from the original pattern, there were lots of small strips and sashings.  I had a number of 1.5 inch strips.  I even sewed these together and got a couple of 2.5" blocks from each strip. 


You can hardly tell they are pieced.

I did have to purchase a couple of yards of neutral for the background.  I had plenty of white, or beige, or grey....but nothing that would compliment this fabric line.

l
Look at these nice pieces left for my borders.
I won't know how big this quilt will be until I run out of 2.5" blocks and figure out how much border fabric I can use.


 I am excited to be part of the Hands 2 Help 2018 Challenge.

This is Sarah's 8th year to organize the Hands 2 Help Challenge. There are 3 charities involved this year, 2 in the US and one in Canada.

I'm going to make at least one quilt for the Little Lambs Foundation for Kids and at least one for Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo.

Check out Sarah's blog for information on the challenge.
Sign up, it will be fun!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...